Join us on Facebook too!

Idaho Non-Resident OHV Legislation (pay-to-play fee)

The Idaho Recreation Council (IRC) is in the process of drafting legislation requiring out of state residents to purchase a non-resident off-road sticker in order to use any OHV (motorcycle, ATV, UTV, etc.) in Idaho.  The purpose of the legislation is to increase funding for our trails.

On the surface, having non-residence help pay the bill for our trail maintenance may sound like a good idea.  However, requiring non-residence to pay-to-play will eliminate reciprocity with other States.  The loss of reciprocity will hurt OHV users in the Panhandle of Idaho the most since our off-road recreational opportunities are divided between Washington and Montana because it's only about 75 miles from boarder to boarder.

In addition to Idaho's more than reasonable $12 OHV sticker fee, do you also want to pay Washington's $26 fee and Montana's $27 fee per OHV?

PANTRA's position is that the legislation being drafted will unfairly penalize OHV users in the Panhandle region by requiring us to pay as much as $65 a year per OHV to be able to ride in our area due to the loss of reciprocity.

Furthermore, with so many other OHV recreation opportunities in the Pacific Northwest, it is unlikely the State of Idaho will reach any projected revenue increase for trail maintenance because residences of Washington and Montana can simply skip the 75 mile stretch between them.

PANTRA's proposed alternative is to increase Idaho's current OHV registration fee from $12 to an amount that would provide enough funding for trail maintenance.  This proposal would distribute the cost of trail maintenance fairly and equitably to all of Idaho.  Even if Idaho's OHV fees were doubled to $24, it would still be lower than the surrounding States making it a bargain.

We are asking our members, and other OHV users who would be affected by this legislation, to write letters, emails, and make calls to the IRC, IDPR, County Commissioners, Governor Butch Otter, and your local Representative and voice your objection to the legislation that is being drafted that would lose reciprocity and instead support legislation that would provide trail funding in a more fair and equatable way.

Click links for contact information:


You can identify who your legislatures are by which district you live in on the map below and email your comments to them from this link (   At the link, just select the district you are in from the drop down menu and select "search".  Your representative's contact information, including email, will be there.  It's easy and it's quick!

Non-residents who will be affected by the proposed legislation are encouraged to contact our Idaho Representatives also.